Monday, March 23, 2009

Speed test!

Was supposed to go for a photo outing last Saturday but it rained in the morning! So I slept a while longer then woke up with nothing to do. Suddenly I remembered, I bought this Kingston Elite Pro CF 8GB a few months ago, thinking of replacing my Sony MSPD-thru-converter for my camera. The Sony MSPD ain't exactly the fastest bit of kit around, so I thought at RM78, the Kingston Elite Pro should be a worthwhile replacement. Spec'd at 133x or 20 Mbps some more! 

But then hor... it doesn't seem fast la... almost the same as my MSPD only! Even my colleague who shot my wedding for me told me it was slow. And once it reached 200+ pictures, it began moving even slower still.

Photobucket

So I decided to do a very unscientific speed test between the two. I randomly chose 6 RAW and 20 JPGs totally to 112MB and did a copy-to and read-from to my PC, to see if it was really faster or not. 

And the result? On average...

Sony MSPD write: 11 Mbps read 20 Mbps
Kingston Elite Pro 133x write: 11 Mbps read 22 Mbps

What the heck?! Writing speed almost the same! Rugilah my RM78... didn't achieve my objective also! Further reading on the internet showed that the 8GB version used MLC flash technology which is slower than the 4GB SLC flash technology. At the time, the 4GB version was selling for RM50. I thought 8GB more worth it mar..

Oh well. Spare memory card I guess. Elite Pro 133X my arse...

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home