Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Cheapoman Lighting For Your Aquarium

Last weekend I finally decided to DIY a reflector for my aquarium lighting. I've had 4 20W tubes of lighting in the aquarium but most of it gets out and blasts the top cover and the ceiling. So a reflector is in order to focus the light into the aquarium. I decided to get to work because I found a shop selling polished aluminium deflectors! It's called Hup Seng Lee on Jalan Dato Kramat if you're interested.

Here's a pic of the old lighting arrangement. Crude huh?


Relfector that I got from Hup Seng Lee. Ask for a "2x 20W" reflector and you get this one. Had to cut it down to size to fit my 3-footer. Kitchen scissors worked remarkbly well on the thin sheet. You can see the remaining 1-foot sheet behind. Nano tank ideas flooding my neurons...


Here it is with the tube holders and lights mounted. I used normal fluorescent holders, some nuts and bolts and my trusty power drill.


Shot of the back with the ballasts and wiring. Probably a good idea to somehow protect it from splashing water...


Haven't take a shot of the aquarium after installation... because the water still damn cloudy. And also I was tired and cursed too much to care. Total cost of DIY, somewhere around 30 bucks not including the fluorescent tubes. Happy camper!

1 Comments:

  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~geekchic

    Dun go too happy with your powerdrill. It's damn fun, I agree but the debris can render one hopping around like a mad person around the kitchen. =) Dun worry, no risks of tetanus, like I'd told you, but hurts like @*&#*%@*&%@&^!%*&!(*!&)(!&!!!! =)

    Btw, I kinda miss your kitchen counter. Hadn't seen it in days =D

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home