Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Project Aquarium - Stage 2 - Give us light!

Finally Project Aquarium Stage 2 has completed! Stage 2 consisted of wiring the lights and getting some plants into the aquarium. At least I can tell people I *am* rearing some living things in there besides dead water with dead gravel and dead wood. Hahahah. Took some pics of the tank-o-liquid.
Front dead on short. Only got 6 plants at the moment, need to run-in the aquarium to see if there's enough light, fertiliser, etc.

Side tall shot. I've got 2 18W 32" fluorescent tubes in there. The chokes get REALLY REALLY hot! So far I don't dare to leave both lights on while no one is at home, else I might need to claim my fire insurance =[ Anyone knows an alternative (that doesn't involve too much money?)

I also went to CTY Aquarium to enquire about CO2 systems. Turns out the cheapest one I can get is about 400 bucks, that comes with a mini scuba-tank, regulator, difusser and hoses. Scuba tanks needs to be refilled every 2-3 months or so. Because the aquarium environment is small, there isn't enough natural CO2 absorption into the water to sustain the amount of plants in the water. *time to save money*

By the way, Project Aquarium has a direction now! Below is what I'm trying to achieve.

Fooh! Damn nice wei! Gonna try my hands on rearing discus fish, accompanied by neon tetras and corydoras! =]

Here's another one by famed aquarium dude Takashi Amano. If you've seen those "designer" aquarium products by ADA, thats his company right there.

Stage 3 will hopefully be CO2 injection system and more plants! Stay tuned!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home